Flying with Children
The regulation has three categories when referring to children less than 18 years of age:
1. Babies less than 2 years of age from the start date of travel
2. Children under the age of 12 from the start date of travel
3. Teenagers from 12 years and under the age of 18 from the start date of travel
Anyone travelling with children under the age of 12 is invited to pre-board the aircraft prior to the rest of the passengers, please be sure to be at the gate at the station’s requested time to be able to take advantage of this.
Babies under the age of 2 travel for free. A reservation with the company is required in advance. The baby must have proper identification documents, for example, a passport.
As per regulations any child less than 2 years of age must have a responsible escort with them, (one baby per escort – If a passenger has two babies, the flight staff will seek the assistance of a second escort). The baby must be strapped in on the escort’s lap using a loop seatbelt (provided by the airline) or by another restraint system (car seat).
Car Seats :
- Car seats can be used in the cabin and can serve as a restraint system for the baby if there is an empty seat available next to the escort. Booster seats are not permitted to be used in the cabin.
- Passengers are permitted to use strollers right up to the stairs of the plane. They are asked to fold up the stroller and leave it at the foot of the stairs prior to boarding, the ground handling crew will stow it away once boarding is completed. At some of our stations, passengers with strollers may have to use the elevator to board the plane please inquire with that specific station for further instructions.
Children from the age of 2 and under 12 years of age receive a discount of 50% off the adult fare. Children may travel alone or within a group. Every child 2 years and older must occupy their own seat.
Particular case for children between 2 and 4 years:
- Individual assistance is required by a person at least 18 years (being the parent of the child or not).
- A maximum of 2 children per accompanied adult, the number of children is not limited in terms of the regulation; however, it poses a greater difficulty to be able to properly monitor more than 2 children at a time.
Children between the Ages of 4-12 Traveling as Unaccompanied Minors:
Children between these ages may travel using Air Saint-Pierre’s Unaccompanied Minor (UM) Service. Air Saint-Pierre accompanies children flying using this service from gate to gate.*
The Unaccompanied Minor service must be requested at the time of reservation. Please also signal child’s medical needs and any prescribed medications they will be traveling with at this time.
At check-in time, the person accompanying the child to the airport will complete the Unaccompanied Minor Form with all pertinent information regarding the child’s travel plans (their name, the contact information of the child’s parents/guardian as well as the name and contact information of who will be meeting the child at their final destination).* The child must carry this form with them at all times. Unaccompanied Minors are seated at the back of the aircraft, near cabin crewmembers, in order to ensure they are supervised during the flight.
Upon arrival, the flight attendant will pass the unaccompanied minor to the Air Saint-Pierre agent at the station. The station agent will be responsible for accompanying the minor through customs, collecting checked bags and the child will be handed off to the adult indicated on the Unaccompanied Minor Form. The adult, who is to meet the child at their destination, must meet the child and agent in the arrivals area when the flight arrives. A piece of photo identification must be provided to the agent in order to ensure that the adult is the one specified on the Unaccompanied Minor Form.
*Gate to gate and final destination mean only the lag of the flight with Air Saint-Pierre and/or final destination if the child is continuing their travel with Air France via Montreal only.
A teenager is a person whose age ranges from 12 but is under the age of 18 years. Teenagers receive a discount of 20% off the adult fare. Teenagers are not required to have an adult escort with them and may travel alone; the Unaccompanied Minor Service does not apply.